Monday, August 21, 2006

Tailor of Panama

Most of my trips partially inspired by films. Before I went to Panama I saw "Tailor of Panama".

I arrived to Panama City late at night. I was impressed by old Hotel Central on Plaza de la Independencia featured in the movie and wanted to spent some time here. Taxi driver said that hotel is closed, but I insisted to take me here. He was not very happy about my request. The moment we reached Casco Viejo ( old part of Panama City ) he crossed himself and cursed. Neiborghood looked seedy and dangerous at night. Atmosphere just like in the movie. Unfortunately taxi driver was right, hotel was closed. I revisited area at day time. Casco Viejo has a lot of character and feel of magic realism. It was quite dangerous place in 2001, things probably changed now. Panama City and country itself is on the fast track of gentrification. People was happy to get rid of Noriega. Looks like rare case when American intervention did something good for the country.

Beauties of Casco Viejo

No comments: